Need Help? Call Us On 0161 776 9832 For Expert Pest Control Advice On How To Identify Pest Infestations And Help Solve Your Pest Problem.
Professional Prestwich Rat Control
Rats in Britain
Rats have been significant pests in Britain for millennia, spreading disease, while causing physical and economic damage. The rats in Britain today tend to be different from the rats of the past, but these commensal animals remain a nuisance.
- Over the last couple of centuries, the brown rat (Rattus norvegicus) has usurped the black rat as Britain's most prolific rat.
- Black rats tend to be consigned to seaports, although they are thought to be making their way back inland.
Whether facing brown or black rat infestation, it is imperative to get rid of rats when they encroach upon human lives and livelihoods, by calling on pest control services to perform professional Prestwich rat control treatments.
Rat transmitted diseases
Rats are burdened by pathogens, common routes of transmission being rat urine and faeces, other sources of infection being rat blood, mucous and saliva.
- Leptospirosis, an infection of Leptospira bacteria, can lead to Weil's Disease, and severe pulmonary haemorrhage syndrome, both life-threatening illnesses.
- Rat-bite fever can be caused by Spirillum minus or Streptobacillus moniliformis bacteria, although the latter is the more common infectious agent in Britain.
- Salmonellosis, Salmonella bacteria infection, is a serious and potentially fatal illness, also known as food poisoning or gastroenteritis.
The serious disease risk posed by rats necessitates professional Prestwich rat control treatment. Expert pest control treatment will get rid of rats, stopping them from spreading their diseases further around the house and garden.
- Compost heaps and woodpiles in the garden are ideal places for rats to build nests. Exposed rubbish and the presence of water can attract hungry and thirsty rats to the garden. Poultry keepers should beware of rats in the garden because rats will kill and eat chicks, and even adult birds.
- Pipes, wall cavities, cellars, and lofts, are all places rats will establish nests in a house. They will breed prolifically, contaminate the area with their disease-laden excretions, and gnaw away at things, including wires, creating a fire hazard.
A rat infestation in the home or garden requires urgent professional pest control treatment, to guard against further damage to property, and prevent the wider spreading of disease-causing agents.