If asked to name five types of pest that can disrupt your household, what would you say? You may actually struggle because few people know everything they need to know about keeping their homes free of pests. There are so many pests that Manchester pest control companies deal with on a regular basis, but one that they are called in to deal with is often completely forgotten by everyone but pet owners. That is the flea. Fleas are a very real problem for homeowners and yet most people only think they are an issue for those with pets, and even then that they will not become a problem around the home.
Fleas could be a problem for any household regardless of whether or not there are pets in the home for a number of reasons. Fleas tend to leap onto anything that can transport them from place to place and so can get into your home in a number of ways. They need warmth, food and water to be able to survive but do tend to multiply at an alarming rate when they get settled. As they can jump, you need to eliminate any potential habitats for them or else you may be paying Manchester Pest Control companies a call.
The following 7 points will help you to prevent flea infestations in your home and thus also help you to avoid calling the Manchester pest control professionals in:
- First of all, if you do have pets then check them for fleas. Excess scratching, bites on the legs and groin, and the presence of eggs in your dog or cat’s fur are all signs of fleas. Whether or not your dog or cat currently has fleas, they should be treated with flea shampoo once every few months to make sure that the fleas do not get the chance to come into the home on them.
- Watch your pets, if you have any, to see where their favourite spots are. When you have identified them, be sure to scrub those areas vigorously at least once a week to keep them perfectly clean and sanitary to deter the fleas.
- Vacuum everywhere in your home thoroughly at least once a week. Run the vacuum over more regularly if you like but do the carpets, floors, curtains, rugs, furniture with upholstery, cushions and mattresses once a week to keep them flea free. Get rid of the bag when finished. You may also want to use one of the specialist insecticide sprays designed to kill fleas but not to harm pets.
- Be sure to clean all wooden and tiled floors if your home with the recommended cleaning fluid once a month and wipe them down once a week. You need to make sure that you cover all cracks and other gaps that are left for the fleas to hide in. You should also sweep any porches or steps you have once a week to make sure that they are not there.
- Make sure that all pet and human bedding is washed at least once every two weeks, and more regularly if at all possible. If any pet bedding is unused for a significant period of time then throw it out.
- Cut the grass regularly and remove any rubbish in your back garden. Manchester pest control companies highlight this as a major cause of infestation because they then move indoors.
- Finally, make sure that all food containers are sealed and placed in the fridge or in a cupboard at all times when not in use. You should always disinfect surfaces after use too so as not to encourage fleas.
So there you have it – enough information to prevent fleas taking over your home. If you adhere to all of these then you may not have to call Manchester pest control experts at all!